What you didn't know about Denim!
Posted: Mar 28 2015
Did you know...
1. May 20th is the official ‘birthday’ of Denim.
2. In the early 1960’s, many schools in the U.S banned denim, as it had become an icon of teen rebellion.
3. In 1936, a red flag was sewed next to the back pocket of a pair of denim pants. This was the first label that was ever attached to a piece of a garment.
4. The making of one pair of denim pants requires 37 separate sewing operations.
5. Over 50% of denim is produced in Asia, specifically China, India, and Bangladesh.
6. It is recorded that George Washington toured a production line of denim in Massachusetts in 1798.
7. The first pair of denim jeans cost only $1.25 in 1880.
Bonus Denim - Washing facts
9. Since denim is made of cotton, it has a tendency to shrink when first washed. To reduce the risk of shrinking, wash in cold water and dry on a low heat or hang to dry.